Hiking Mount Washington
Hiking Mount Washington
Hiking Mount Washington is NOT an easy task. Please make sure you are well prepared and educated about what is in store for you. There is the option of taking a One Way Cog Railway Train Ride down or up the mountain in the months that we are operating.
There are two main trails for hiking Mount Washington on the west side of the mountain – the Jewell Trail (easier, but longer) and the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail (harder, but shorter). Each trail takes the average hiker around 5 hours one way to hike up or hike down Mount Washington. Remember, you are hiking at your own risk, so BE PREPARED! Trail maps, guide books & other hiking essentials are available for sale in our Marshfield Station Gift Shop.
For expert Skiers, there is the option of skiing Mount Washington in the winter months. A lengthy hike is required to get to a point of being able to descend, so prepare for winter hiking along with making sure you have the skills and ability to ski down the mountain. There is no first aid or other services available for skiers. There is more information on our Skiing the Cog Railway page!
Hiker One Way Train Rides
For people who choose to hike Mount Washington (and if you do, please make sure you are WELL EDUCATED and have all the required gear), we do offer the ability to take a One-Way Up or a One-Way Down on the Mount Washington Cog Railway. Pricing information can be found on the Schedule & Tickets page. If you plan to take a One Way Down, make sure you return to the correct side of the mountain!
Why Can't I Buy a One Way Down in Advance?
Believe us, we’d love to sell you one in advance, but we choose not to for a few factors:
- It’s never a guarantee the train makes it to the Summit. Inclement weather can happen at any time, and the last thing we want to do is leave you stuck up top! Always be prepared to hike back down just in case!
- Trains stick to a strict departure schedule. If you are not on the top when the train departs, we still have to leave, and can’t promise there will be room on the next available trains
Hiker & Skier Parking at the Mount Washington Cog Railway Base Station
We offer the ability to park your car in a safe, monitored location right next to the trail heads. Payment accepted is cash only and cars without a permit may be towed.
Summer Hiker Parking Pass
- Park right at the trailheads for the Ammonoosuc Ravine and Jewell Trail.
- Safe, secure parking.
Winter / Spring Skiing Parking Pass
- Plowed and maintained parking lot
- Park right at the trailheads for the Ammonoosuc Ravine and Jewell Trails.
Please purchase these permits with a Hiker Parking Representative at the entrance to Marshfield Base Station, or at the Drop Box. CASH ONLY. Please display the permit on your dashboard.